Gurudwara Shri Baba Atal Sahib - Amritsar
On the back side of GURUDWARA SHRI HARIMANDIR SAHIB. At Amritsar
Associated with :
Baba Atal ji
• GURUDWARA SHRI ATAL JI SAHIB is situated in the Distt City Amritsar. It is situated on the back side of GURUDWARA SHRI HARIMANDIR SAHIB. Baba Atal Rai was born in Samvat 1676 at Amritsar to SHRI GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB JI, From early age he was intelligent, lively and a deeply religious boy. He was called 'Baba' because he carried a wise head over his young shoulders. He used to play with his age-mates and tell them many wise things. Whatever he said, even in jest, had some deep humane meaning. All his playmates loved and obeyed him. shri GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB JI was specially fond of him. He used to take him in his lap, cuddle him and say, “God has given you much power. Don’t make a show of it. If you have to use it, use it with caution and wisdom. Don’t waste it away on little things”
• One of Baba Atal’s playmates was Mohan, who was about the same age as Baba Atal.
One day they played on until the night fell. At the end of day it was Mohan's turn. It was mutually agreed that Mohan will give his turn next morning, and they returned home. That night, mohan got bitten by a cobra. He screamed in agony. Next morning, all the boys reached the playground, except Mohan. Baba Atal Rai enquired about Mohan and came to know about the incident. Baba Atal Rai went straight to Mohan’s home. He found Mohan’s parents and others in deep mourning. When told that Mohan was dead, Baba Atal Rai said, “No, he can’t be dead. He is pretending to be dead. He does not wish to give me my turn. I will make him get up.” Saying this, he went to Mohan’s room. He touched him with his stick and said, “Mohan, get up and say ‘Satnam Waheguru’. Open your eyes.
• Upon this, Mohan got up as if from sleep. The news of Mohan’s revival spread like wild fire. Guru Hargobind Sahib also heard about what his son had done. He was not at all pleased. He said, We must obey God’s will. We should not try to undo what He has done.
” When Baba Atal Rai returned home, GURU SAHIB said to him "You acted against GOD's will. Baba Atal Rai ji went away. He took his bath in the sacred sarovar, took four rounds of the sacred Harimandir Sahib and went to the nearby Kaulsar Sarovar (lake) - his favourite haunt. he laid down there, After that, he departed peacefully for his True Home on July 23, 1628 A.D.
GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB JI soon learned of his son’s passing away in these strange circumstances. He advised his family and his Sikhs not to go into mourning, saying:
“All those who are born must die.
Such is the Almighty’s Will.
What pleases Him is good.
We should accept it cheerfully.
Atal’s name and fame shall live for ever.”
• Baba Atal’s body was cremated at the spot where he had renounced it. GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB JI said, “Atal has, by God’s Will, given up his body in his ninth year. A nine storied Memorial shall be built here, so that it can be seen from afar.” Later, the tower was built between 1778 and 1784. At the spot now stands a beautiful nine storied GURUDWARA SAHIB known as Baba Atal Sahib. To express their reverence to his bountiful nature, people call out to the open hearted prince of truth:
• “O Baba Atal, Pakkian Pakaian ghal.”
i.e. O Baba, the revered one, send us well-baked bread to satiate our hunger. Since then, faithful Sikhs distribute cakes of bread to all visitors.
It is believed that Guru Hargobind sahib ji breathed his last at Gurudwara Baba Atal Sahib, also known as Baba Atal Rai Tower. This explains the importance of the tower in the present times. The tower is named after Guru Hargobind's son. It is located very close to the main city of Amritsar. A nine-storey building, it boasts of lively architectural beauty engraved into it.
Initially, Baba Atal Rai Tower was built as a Samadhi or cenotaph, to enshrine the remains of Guru Hargobind and his youngest son, Baba Atal Rai. But with the passage of time, it was transformed into a Gurudwara. Baba Atal Rai died at a tender age of nine and this nine-storey building stands for these nine years of his life. Despite such a short life span, he is revered as a Baba, because of the extra-ordinary powers he possessed.
Gurudwara Baba Atal Sahib attracts millions of pilgrims from all over the world. Besides, it is growing as one of the most visited tourist spots in Punjab. On the first floor of the holy tower, there are several miniature works depicting Guru Nanak's life. You can also get an enchanting, unmatched vision of the whole town of Amritsar from the top of the tower. It stands for the glory and artistic richness of the state.