Gurudwara Shri Maznu Ka Tilla Sahib

Gurudwara Shri Maznu Ka Tilla Sahib

Situated :
Gurudwara Shri Maznu Ka Tilla Sahib Outer Ring Road, On bank of River Yamuna, Delhi.
Associated with :
Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji
• Gurdwara Majnu-ka-Tilla is situated on the right bank of river Yamuna, opposite Timarpur Colony beyond the Khyber Pass section of Delhi, India. The birthday of the Khalsa is celebrated here with much festivity on Baisakhi day. On this day, which holds a special place in the hearts of all Sikhs, the city swells with pilgrims from the surrounding areas. With many people of different creeds, castes, and status join the Sikhs of Delhi. During the festivities a special langar (a free kitchen or meal) of enormous size is arranged.

History

• The historic name of area, literally means the hillock of Majnu,

Gurudwara Shri Maznu Ka Tilla Sahib

after the tilla or mound where during the reign of Sikandar Lodhi on Delhi Sultanate, a local Iranian Sufi mystic, Abdulla nicknamed Majnu (crazy), met Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak on July 20, 1505. Majnu ferried people across the Yamuna river for free as a service to God, his devotion resulted in the Nanak staying here till end July. In later history Sikh military leader Baghel Singh built the Majnu ka Tila Gurudwara to commemorate the stay in 1783, and the sixth Sikh guru, Guru Har Gobind also stayed here. Today it is one of oldest extant Sikh shrines in Delhi and the surrounding estate of donated by early 19th-century Sikh emperor, Ranjit Singh. Majnu Ka Tilla area has three main residential settlements with total 3000-3500 homes, Aruna Nagar, New Aruna Nagar and Old Chandrawal village, which was came up in early 1900s, when British government settled labourers involved in the construction of the Central Secretariat buildings, during the construction of the New Delhi. The next round of settlement came post-independence in 1958-59, when Aruna Nagar was developed by the Land and Development wing of the Urban Development ministry as it disburses 925 plots of 40 sq. yard each, to people resettled here from various part of North Delhi. The Tibetan refugee camp later named New Aruna Nagar developed after 1960, and more recently two large jhuggi jhopari (hutment) clusters have developed on the periphery.

Warning: include_once(/home/gurbani/public_html/twatch/api/LogRequest.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gurbani/public_html/includes/footer.php on line 111

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/gurbani/public_html/twatch/api/LogRequest.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/gurbani/public_html/includes/footer.php on line 111

Fatal error: Call to undefined function twatchLogRequest() in /home/gurbani/public_html/includes/footer.php on line 112